I love fall – everything about it. On the west coast, we have a fairly narrow corridor of color compared to the rest of the country, but as a native, I can always find a fall day in lengthening shadows and cool evenings. Despite the heatwave we’ve experienced in Southern California, I am determined to find autumn is any way I can. A enormous potted mum I can barely get my arms around, the redding of leaves and my deep love of anything pumpkin.
Fortunately, my children have inherited my affection for one of America’s favorite gourds. This makes me happy because pumpkins are low in calories, fat and sodium and high in fiber. A good source of Vitamin A & B, potassium, protein and iron, they find their way into every segment of our diet. I made glorious pumpkin soup for Thanksgiving years ago, but true to nature, I didn’t write the recipe down… In the meantime, enjoy this soft, sweet snack.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
1/2 c. (1 cube) room temperature butter or Vegan alternate (I like Earth Balance)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. agave nectar
1 c. canned pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. rice flour
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar (I use organic from Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Once combined, add agave, egg, pumpkin and vanilla and mix only until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix rice flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined.
- Place 1/4 c. sugar into a small bowl.
- Roll 1 inch balls in your hand (I use a mini ice-cream scoop so that each ball is uniform), and drop into bowl of sugar, rolling until ball is completely coated in sugar.
- Place onto greased cookie sheets. Flatten balls with the bottom of a smooth glass and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on cooling racks and serve. Store in air tight containers.
What kind of rice flour did you use?
I like to use organic brown rice flour from Bob’s Red Mill. I buy mine bulk from Amazon cuz it goes pretty quick in my house.