Using a small piece of meat (filet is my favorite for this dish), you can produce a protein packed salad that will keep you full most of the day. This is a wonderful lunch or dinner, depending on the quantity of beef you use. If you have some radishes on hand, slice them thin and throw them in. Their peppery flavor will compliment the dish.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
Special equipment: cast iron pan is best
2-3 c. assorted greens (baby romaine is a good choice)
thinly sliced red onion
drizzle of Sweet & Savory Dressing
1 3-4 oz. filet mignon steak
1/4 c. mayonnaise (or a GFCFSF alternative, like Spectrum Canola Mayonnaise)
2 T horseradish (fresh or prepared)
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat cast iron pan on high heat until slightly smoking. Salt both sides of filet and sear steak, about 2 minutes per side.
- When steak is nicely seared, place under broiler (about 4-5 inches beneath heating element) and broil for 2-3 minutes, depending on thickness of meat. For medium rare, you should be able to press on the meat without it feeling hard. Here’s the method I use for determining doneness.
- Remove steak to platter and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle with red onions. Drizzle Sweet & Savory Dressing lightly over greens and toss. Plate salad.
- Mix mayonnaise and horseradish together thoroughly and set aside.
- Slice meet into thin strips and place atop green. Drizzle horseradish sauce atop meat and serve.