Maiah submitted this as an adaptation from a family recipe. Those of you who have a vegetable garden can testify that there is just so much zucchini you can eat or give to your neighbors! I love that this cake consumes two heaping cups of grated zucchini, which makes it so moist. Tell your kids AFTER they take their first bite, just in case they decide that something green doesn’t belong in their dessert. My two loved this and ate the leftovers for breakfast, arguing that it was healthly.
Congratulations Maiah, as co-winner of the Pamela’s Products giveaway for submitting this delicious original recipe!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: about 1 hour
Yield: 12-16 slices
Special tools: I used a springform pan, but you can use a 9″x13″ pan
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 c. GF baking mix (Maiah and I use Pamela’s)
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/3 cup melted butter or butter substitute (Maiah uses half applesauce sometimes–works great)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup raw cane sugar
4 egg whites if you’re non-vegan (I used 2 whole eggs) or 2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoon water (for vegan)
1/2 cup almond milk (or soy milk, or skim milk)
2 cups (heaping) grated zucchini
1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand is GFCFSF)
3/4 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
about 1/4-1/3 c. of milk of your choice until desired consistency is reached.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your pan with grapeseed oil or a non-stick spray.
- Sift baking soda, gf flour, cocoa and spices together. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix butter, oil, sugar, eggs and milk of choice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, alternating with the zucchini. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If using a springform pan, cool cake for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and remove the side of the springform pan. Allow to cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar for decoration if desired. Slice and drizzle glaze atop each individual slice.