I’m on kind of a berry kick at the moment. Now that spring is firmly here and I can feel the hint of summer here in Southern California, I know perfectly ripe berries are just around the corner. That means jam canning season for me. But in the meantime, I’m trying to find delicious ways to tuck berries into everything. Using the short cut of Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix makes this really easy. Plus, and I mean this sincerely, this is one of my top two favorite desserts. It might seem odd to drizzle port or red wine on top of this cake, but it gives it a lovely finish.
1/2 c. (1 stick) room temperature butter or butter substitute (Earth Balance)
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 c. Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix divided
1 T baking powder
1 ripe banana
1 scant c. sliced strawberries (7-8)
1 T ruby port or red wine
whipped cream if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter sides and bottom of springform pan.
- On high speed, mix butter and sugar together until well blended, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn mixer to medium and add eggs, beating until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- In small bowl, mash banana with the back of a fork and add to batter just until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 c. of Pamela’s mix with baking powder and whisk to combine.
- Turn mixer down to low and add Pamela’s mixture, beating on medium until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Scape batter into pan and smooth top with small offset spatula.
- Cut strawberries into slices and mix with remaining 1/4 c. Pamela’s mix so they are well dredged. Place on top of cake and drizzle 1 T port atop berries and batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes then remove the sides of pan. When completely cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream.