This is a great soup when it’s cool outside or for a light spring supper as well. Lemon adds a surprising freshness.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings (about 5 cups)
Special tool: immersion blender
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T curry powder* (yellow or red)
6 Italian zucchini, quartered lengthwise and chopped
3 c. chicken stock or vegetarian stock
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
lemon wheel and flat-leaf (Italian) parsley for garnish
*for nightshade allergies, substitute the curry powder with 1 tsp. each of turmeric, ground cumin, garlic powder, plus 1/2 tsp. each of black pepper and ground coriander.
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat and add onions. Saute for 5-7 minutes until translucent.
- Add curry powder and 1 tsp. salt. Saute for 1 minute until spices become fragrant.
- Add zucchini and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until zucchini are soft.
- Puree mixture with immersion blender until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and lemon juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with lemon wheel and sprig of parsley.