This is a staple – hearty and fresh. And it freezes beautifully. Use leftovers from Roasted Chicken.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 8-10 servings
2 bone-in chicken breasts
3 T olive oil, divided
2 large carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
4-6 stalks of celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Hungarian paprika (omit for nightshade allergy)
8 cups chicken broth (homemade is great, but I’ve also used a variety of organic stocks. Make sure paprika isn’t present if you have a nightshade allergy)
1/2 c. raw Basmati rice (or 1 c. cooked, if you have it)
2 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Preheat oven to 375. Sprinkle breasts with 1 tsp. olive oil each and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook chicken for 35 minutes and shred when cool.
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and paprika, stock and raw rice and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook at simmer for additional 5 minutes to warm chicken through (if using cooked rice, add that here too). When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkling of scallions.