Nothing smells like home more than a roasting chicken. I usually roast two at a time. One for dinner and one for any number of other dishes, like Chinese Chicken Salad, Chicken Tortilla Soup, Chicken Wraps… This is from Ina Garten and it’s perfect every time. Feel free to add any herbs you want into the cavity or under the skin.
Watch and work in real time with Amy.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 with leftovers
Special tools: kitchen string
1 young fryer, about 4-5 lbs.
2 lemons, quartered length-wise
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Remove any innards and rinse bird inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Into cavity, drizzle 1 tsp. salt and add 2 quartered lemons.
- Lay chicken breast up onto a roasting pan with sides. To truss the bird, fold wings back the opposite direction and tuck under bird. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Sprinkle pepper and remaining salt onto bird and roast for 1 hr 15 minutes. To make sure the chicken is cooked through, pierce the thigh at the thickest part. If juices run clear, it’s done. If you want to use an internal thermometer, the meat should register 165 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh.
- To serve, remove legs, cutting just below the joint. Cut down each side of the breast bone and around each breast. Once removed, cut each breast into 3 individual slices. Pull wings off, leaving drummettes intact. Cut off each drummette at the joint and turn bird over. Pushing your thumbs into the flesh on either side of the backbone, remove each thigh. Serves 4-6.
I now finally know how to cook a great roasted chicken after watching your video on youtube!!
I made this roast chicken for dinner and it was delicious. I threw some potatoes in the bottom of the pan to roast and my family devoured it all. The video was really helpful as well!