Your home will smell great when you come home from work and your dinner is ready. Save leftovers for the weekend for a big Machaca breakfast. Mix with your favorite BBQ sauce for BBQ Beef Sandwiches along with Coleslaw or shred for Rolled Tacos.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 9 hours, 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 with leftovers
Special equipment: slow cooker (crock pot)
2 1/2 – 3 lb. boneless chuck roast
1/4 c. water
2 tsp. salt
2 T brown rice flour
2 T room temperature butter or butter substitute (Earth Balance)
- Place a heavy bottomed pan (I use cast iron) on high heat.
- Salt roast on both sides. When the pan starts to smoke, sear roast, about 5 minutes per side. Remove and place in crock pot on low heat along with water.
- Cook for 8-9 hours (while you’re at work), then remove roast to a serving platter.
- Pour remaining broth into a tempered glass (like Pyrex) measuring cup and wait for fat to rise to the top. Remove fat with a spoon, very carefully.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the butter and flour, combining and smashing together with a rubber spatula until combined. (If you want to make this no-dairy, just spoon the au jus over the meat and serve.
- Slowly, pour in beef broth, stirring with spatula, breaking up any lumps that form. If the gravy is still too thin, add more rice flour and try to work out as many lumps as you can, just be sure to strain it before you serve it. Wonderful with mashed potatoes. Serves 4-6 with leftovers.