I was trying to come up with something festive for a client’s holiday party when I spied scallions and fresh cranberries in the fridge. Here’s the result – a luscious goat cheese log with scallions and orange spiced dried cranberries. Delicious and so pretty for Christmas. The creaminess of the cheese pairs perfectly with the crunch of an almond or rice cracker. Wash it down with a Champagne Cosmopolitan Cocktail and you’ve got a party!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 log that serves 8 as an appetizer
1 10.5 oz. log of room temperature goat cheese
1/2 c. dried cranberries (Trader Joe’s sells amazing orange flavored ones*)
1/4 c. finely chopped scallions
- Soak the cranberries in boiling water for 5 minutes to soften. Drain and finely chop.
- Upon a long piece of plastic wrap, spread the cranberries and scallions into a rectangular shape no longer that the log.
- Roll log in mixture, pressing so the ingredients adhere.
- Roll log tightly in plastic wrap, twisting the ends firmly so that it looks like a fat, little sausage.
- Refrigerate until needed. Remove 20 minutes before serving. Goat cheese thats too cold will crumble and you want this creamy.
*If you can’t find orange-infused cranberries, use regular cranberries and 1/2 tsp. orange zest.