This is a staple for brunches at our house. I think it’s the quickest way to serve a bunch of people warm food at the same time. And it’s great leftover, reheated the next day. This is for people who can tolerate dairy, but I’m working on one without that’s fully GFCF.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
1 c. crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
1 small red pepper, chopped (omit for nightshade allergy)
1/2 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
4 scallions finely chopped
1 T butter (optional)
2 T olive oil, divided
1 c. chopped ham or turkey bacon
10 whole eggs, whisked smooth
1/2 c. whipping cream
1 c. shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar and Swiss are good)
4 finely chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven proof pan (I prefer cast iron), over medium heat, saute mushrooms, pepper and onion in 1 T olive oil until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add whipping cream to eggs and stir to combine.
- Over medium heat, add remaining 1T olive oil and butter to pan, swirling to coat sides of pan. When the butter is foamy, add egg mixture followed by sauteed vegetables and cheese. With the tip of a spatula, gently push vegetables and cheese into the mixture. Toss sliced scallions on top.
- Immediately place pan into preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. When frittata is puffed and no longer jiggly in the center, remove. Run knife around edge of frittata and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Invert frittata over onto a large plate, but not the one you want to serve it on. Once inverted, invert again onto your serving platter so that the top of the frittata is facing up.
- Cut into eighths. This is wonderful room temperature as well as warm. Serves 8.