Adapted from Elana’s Pantry original recipe of Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Scones, I’ve combined two of my favorite flavors, with almond flour as the base. Due to my nightshade allergy, and because potato starch is such an integral ingredient for most gluten free mixes, these scones are a great solution. Once again, thank you Elana for your amazing blog!
These freeze beautifully so they can be pulled out by hungry children, thawed for 15 minutes and eaten up with a cup of almond milk hot chocolate. And the recipe also double well, as I’ve done for the photo, because our family blows through them in no time.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 8 scones
2 c. almond flour
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. frozen blueberries
1 T lemon zest
4 T agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and zest. Pull out about 1/2 c. of the dry mixture and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk egg and agave together until well combined.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry.
- Drop blueberries into reserved 1/2 c. of dry mixture and coat. Drop blueberries into batter and combine.
- Form dough into a circle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces and place onto parchment lined or greased baking sheet.
- Brush scones with almond milk and sprinkle turbinado sugar on each.
- Bake for 10 minutes (about 13 minutes if you double the recipe). Transfer to rack to cool and serve.