It is my personal belief that if you heat up an oven or a crock pot, then you should try to get at least two meals out of it. Pork is a lean and fairly inexpensive way to feed a family, especially if you’ve got a good-sized piece of meat. This recipe utilizes only half the meat. Use the other half for a BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich served with Coleslaw.
You can throw this into your crock pot before you leave for work and it will be ready 8–9 hours later. Or if you are away from the house longer than 9 hours, start this in the evening, (8–9 hours prior to waking up). Once you get up, pull the meat from the crock pot, shred it with forks (which takes less than 5 minutes), then take your shower and get ready for work. By the time you’re dressed, the meat will be cool and you can put it in the fridge for dinner that night.
Prep time: 15 minutes, divided
Total time: 9 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: around 2 1/2 pounds shredded pork
Special equipment: slow cooker (crock pot)
1 3-lb boneless pork loin
1/4 c. water
- Put all ingredients into crock pot on low. Cook for 8–9 hours until fork tender. Remove and shred with forks and set aside.
8 corn tortillas
2 tsp. vegetable oil
2 c. shredded pork
1 c. salsa, divided
splash of water
slices of avocado
slices of lime
- Heat oil in skillet until hot. Add pork, 3 T salsa and a squeeze from half a lime. Cook until heated through. Set aside.
- Heat corn tortillas directly over the cook top flame or wrapped in a towel in the microwave for a minute or so.
- Fill tortillas with carnitas meat, topping with cabbage, more salsa and avocado. Serve immediately.
- If you like a more piquant sauce, thin Tartar Sauce with some salsa and pour over tacos.