My friend, Simone, gave me the idea for these little nuggets. Using ready made chocolate sandwich creme cookies (they look like Oreos) make these gluten-free, casein-free bonbons a snap to make. Add peanut butter to the mix and you’ve created the perfect valentine.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 36 bonbons
Special tool: food processor
1 8 oz. package Chocolate Sandwich Creme cookies (I use GFCF KinniTOOS by kinnikinnick)
3/4 c. peanut butter (use organic if you can)
1 12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips (Trader Joe’s is GFCF)
- Add cookies to food processor fitted with steel blade. Pulse until mixture is broken down and combined, for intermittently for a minute or so. Don’t worry if you still have small chunks.
- Add peanut butter and pulse until well combined. The dough will start to clump together.
- Roll about a teaspoon worth of dough into balls between hands. Place close together on a cookie sheet.
- Place sheet in freezer for at least 20 minutes until firm.
- Melt chocolate chips on low in heavy bottomed saucepan or in double boiler. Holding onto base of bonbon, dip into chocolate until well coated. Replace back on cookie sheet. Freeze for additional 20 minutes. These keep best in the refrigerator.