I love a good short cut. Sof’ella makes an excellent chocolate cake mix that requires the addition of water, eggs and butter (I used grapeseed oil with no problem). I made a few changes – instead of 1 1/4 cups of water, I added only 1 cup and because I made mini muffins, I baked for only about 10 minutes then tested them with a toothpick. This is a great mix to keep in your pantry for parties; leftovers keep beautifully in the freezer.
2 c. powdered sugar, sifted (or stirred with a whisk to break up clumps)
1/2 c. butter or butter substitute (Earth Balance)
1/4 c. melted semi-sweet chocolate (melt in microwave for about 30 seconds or over double-boiler)
about 2 T hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degree and grease a muffin pan.
- For cupcakes, beat butter with a whisk or electric mixer; if using grapseed oil, skip this step and add oil after you beat the eggs.
- Add eggs and beat until combined. Add cake mixture and warm water, beating on medium for 1 minute.
- Scoop mixture into muffin pans with an ice cream scooper.
- Bake for about 20 minutes for regular cupcakes; 10 minutes for mini-cupcakes. While warm, turn cupcakes onto cooling rack.
- For frosting, mix powdered sugar and butter together until well combined. Add water by the teaspoon until frosting is thin enough to spread, but still thick. Frost cupcakes when they are completely cool.